Even though plastics have been useful and popular over the past decades, now people try to avoid them. Instead, they prefer to choose eco-friendly alternatives. And there’s one material that stands out from the rest: bamboo!
You probably have seen all kinds of bamboo products, from toothbrushes to biodegradable plasters and bamboo bedding. But is bamboo really eco-friendly? What makes it better than plastic and other materials?
Keep reading to know what makes bamboo so popular, what products can be made from it and why you should use them!
What is Bamboo?
When somebody refers to a plant as a kind of grass, you might think it looks like your lawn. That said, some species look a little different. For example, bamboo is a super-fast growing grass although some of them look like a tree!
There are more than 1,000 species of bamboo and they can thrive in different climate conditions, from hot tropical regions to cold places!
In recent years, bamboo has become a popular material because it’s more sustainable than plastic. Bamboo is not only one of the most eco-friendly materials, but also one of the most versatile!
Why is Bamboo Good for the Environment?
There are many “eco-friendly products” made of bamboo, but what makes this material good for the environment? Well, its production has several environmental benefits:
- It requires less water than other plants and it doesn’t need toxic pesticides or fertilisers to grow!
- Bamboo plantations remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. Moreover, they produce 35% more oxygen than an equivalent stand of hardwood trees!
- Depending on the species, bamboo takes 3 to 5 years to reach maturity. In contrast, hardwoods like oak need at least 40 years to mature! So, bamboo is a great alternative to reduce deforestation rates worldwide.
- After harvesting, bamboo doesn’t need to be planted again because it will regrow. Additionally, as the roots remain untouched, it doesn’t affect the soil.
Finally, let’s clarify that you don’t need to worry about pandas. You’re not taking their food away! The variety of bamboo that pandas eat is different from the variety used to create your bamboo toothbrush and other products!
5 Reasons Why Bamboo is More Sustainable than Plastic
Plastic is a durable, cheap, and versatile material, but it isn’t sustainable. For that reason, it’s important to replace it with eco-friendly materials like bamboo. Check why bamboo is more sustainable than plastic:
- Bamboo is a renewable resource: It grows quickly in different areas, so there’s a constant production of raw material. On the other hand, plastics are made from fossil fuels.
- Bamboo absorbs greenhouse gasses: It can absorb as much as 12 tonnes of CO2 per hectare per year, while plastic production contributes to greenhouse gas emissions!
- Bamboo is a biodegradable material: People can compost it when they no longer need it. On the contrary, plastics aren’t biodegradable and sometimes they aren’t recyclable either.
- Bamboo can restore degraded ecosystems: Its roots can restore degraded lands and prevent soil erosion. Unlike bamboo, plastics are well-known for affecting natural ecosystems!
- Promotes economic development: Bamboo production and the manufacturing of products create new job opportunities around the world.
Although bamboo is more sustainable, it can’t replace all the plastic products out there. You could use biodegradable plasters instead of plastic ones, but other products are more complicated to replace. The good news is that several products can be made from bamboo!
What Products Can Be Made from Bamboo?
Besides the environmental benefits, bamboo is one of the most versatile materials! Even though it has a tensile strength stronger than steel, it’s soft and durable when converted into a fabric form. So, it can be used to create all kinds of products, from furniture to bamboo bedding!
Some common products are:
- Bamboo Bedding: sheets, duvet cover, pillowcases, and more.
- Jewellery: necklaces, bracelets, and others.
- Furniture: beds, chairs, tables, and more.
- Biodegradable plasters
- Building material
Once you read the benefits of these products, you will understand why they’re so popular!
Benefits of Bamboo Products
The best part about these products is that you can use them for a long time because bamboo is a durable material. And when you no longer need them, you can compost them and return those nutrients to the Earth! Some of these products are very popular for their benefits:
If you decide to eat out, you will probably end up using plastic cutlery. These items can seem harmless, but they are one of the most deadly items to marine life! Replacing them with reusable bamboo cutlery will reduce waste and protect wildlife.
Also, bamboo has anti-bacterial properties, so it’s a great material to make sure your cutlery is free of bacteria!
For hygienic reasons, you should replace your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months. If you and your family use plastic toothbrushes, it’s a lot of plastic waste every year!
You can replace them with bamboo toothbrushes and compost them after using them. While a bamboo toothbrush will biodegrade in a few months, a plastic toothbrush will remain indefinitely on the Earth!
Bamboo fabric is more comfortable and durable than any polyester fabric. Some people even say it’s softer than cotton! Moreover, bamboo bedding is a great option to keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Additionally, bamboo bedding has anti-bacterial properties and it’s hypoallergenic, so it’s great for those with allergies or sensitive skin!
Biodegradable plasters work as well as regular plastic plasters, but they’re free of plastic, paraben, latex, and silicone! They’re made from bamboo fibre, so you can compost them in your home and they will biodegrade in a few weeks!
Besides, biodegradable plasters are hypoallergenic and they don’t contain irritating chemicals, which make them perfect for sensitive skin!
Now that you know all the benefits of these products, you can try some of them. Small changes like using a bamboo toothbrush, biodegradable plasters, and bamboo bedding could make a great difference!