Just because you’re vegan, doesn’t mean you should miss out on traditional elements of the Christmas meal. This braised red cabbage requires minimal effort, while bringing maximum flavour.
Vegan Braised Red Cabbage Recipe
- Chopping Board
- Large frying pan or cast iron
- 1 tbsp Olive oil optional
- 1 Red onion peeled, diced
- 4 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup or brown sugar
- ¼ tsp Ground nutmeg
- ½ Red cabbage approx. 400g, core removed, thinly sliced
- 1 Green apple core removed, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 2 Whole cloves
- 2 Bay leaves
- Heat the oil in the pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 3-4 minutes until it starts getting soft.
- Add maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and nutmeg. Keep cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add cabbage, apple, cloves, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover the pan with a lid, and cook on low heat for about 35 minutes. Simply stir it from time to time. If the cabbage starts looking dry, add a splash of water.